Thursday, November 27, 2008

much to be thankful for.

happy thanksgiving from mozambique! i am celebrating my thanksgiving here in africa by... checking my email. Hooray! Haha, well although the holiday does not exist here, I still have so much to be thankful for.

I am thankful for my friends and family back home who have emailed or called or writeen, and those who haven´t who I know are still with me in spirit nonetheless. Knowing my world exists on the other side of the world is amazing, and please know that any text, any short email to say hi, and even a letter, means the world to me. I am so thankful for all of you, and if I haven´t been able to write personal emails or letters yet, please understand I´ve barely been able to communicate online save the blog, but I hope to be able to soon.

I am thankful for my experience here so far in the Peace Corps and the absolutely amazing people that I have met here. I have been able to make some good friends and I am sure there are many more out thre to be made. It is amazing having your own little family half a world away.

I´m thankful for everything I have been able to learn here. Africa doesn´t scare me anymore, I can almost speak Portuguese at a survival level, and I´ve learned so much more than I can really elaborate on here.

I am thankful for my site placement!!! Okay this is BIG NEWS. I only have two weeks of training left here with all the other trainees in Namaacha and then we are all moving to our sites throughout Mozambique where we will live and work for two years. I am going to Vilankulo, in Inhambane Province, to work for Care International, working with HIV and AIDS issuse and community projects elsewhere in Mozambique. I´ll also be living with another awesome PCV. I could not be happier about my site!!! Vilankulo is a "sleepy coastal town" on the beach, according to Lonely Planet, so I´ll be in a really beautiful area and right on the coast--good for my soul--and working for an amazing organization. I could not be more excited. Come visit!!! Let me know if you want to. I have running water (GASP!!!!)

For now, mail can still be sent to Maputo, I´ll get it eventually and will let you know when I get a new address.

Happy thanksgiving!!!

No comments: