So first of all I would like to apologize for being a total failure of a blog writer the last two months. There are a variety of reasons… not thinking anything is exciting enough to merit a blog entry, being a bit frustrated at many times in the past couple of months and not wanting to be a downer, and several other things. BUT… i know you will forgive me. It´s funny, I was thinking about things to do post-PC and one of my “ideal careers” that popped into my head was to be a blog writer… and then I laughed because I haven’t updated this in two months. But whatever. I resolve to be a much better blogger next year, I promise.
Last week was thanksgiving. I was lucky enough to spend it in Namaacha (where I was during training for my first ten weeks last year) with the new group of trainees (Moz 14!), getting to know many of them and partaking in a thanksgiving celebration that included an SUPER impressive spread of food prepared by PCTs (cheesecake! Apple pie! Mashed potatoes! Gravy! Ah!) as well as something even more exciting… site announcement! It was a lot of fun, but also my absence from Vil (and my internet access) means I am just now thinking about thanksgiving. So I am blogging about it nearly an entire week late. Sorry bout it.
Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. For a million and one reasons. The whole concept of a holiday whose sole purpose is to get people together with their loved ones to eat and reflect on what they are thankful for is just beautiful. (I am thankful for thanksgiving.) It makes me pretty sad that I have to miss a whopping three thanksgivings while I am out here in Africa… but mark my words, mom and dad, thanksgiving 2011 I will be there! I just think it is important to take a little time out of our busy and hectic lives to be grateful. Without further ado (yes I am blabbering… but it is my blog and you are choosing to read it, so there!!) I wanted to mention a few things I am thankful for this year.
I am thankful for my family. I have always been thankful for them, but being this far away for this long of a time guarantees that I will never take my family for granted again. I am so blessed to have been brought into the world by the most amazing parents any child could ever hope to dream for, and with a sister whom I love and cherish. I am the luckiest girl in the world to have a family like mine!
I am thankful for God pointing me in the right direction to take a “leap of faith” into this whole Peace Corps thing. Part of me was always a bit skeptical, and I would be lying if I said this was easy—this year has been HARD—but at the same time, I already can´t imagine the rest of my life without this experience. I am growing and changing and learning more about myself every day, and for that I am grateful.
I am thankful for morning walks on the beach with my dog.
I am thankful for being an American. It is a country whose faults are easy to criticize, but being away has made me so proud that I am an American and also so incredibly grateful that I was born somewhere where I could have opportunities for education and where I never have to worry about going hungry. Of course problems and lack of access exist in the States too, but being born there carries with it so many advantages that, as I have been experiencing, the majority of the world does not have. We are truly blessed.
I am thankful for hot running water, microwaves, reliable electricity, internet, and cell phone reception, and for washing machines. Thankful for the fact that this experience will mean I never take conveniences for granted again.
I am thankful for my roommate and how much fun it is to live with a friend here. To share frustrations, joys, and mass murder of snakes, rats, cockroaches and ants. It just wouldn’t be the same by myself! : )
I am thankful for being able to walk and talk and breathe and run and live.
I am thankful for PC putting Colin (my friend from the States) just a handful of kilometers away from me so I will have a friend from home close by, half a world away!
I am thankful for the opportunity to travel the world and to see a new country, and have my eyes opened by the overwhelming variety of life and people in this world, how different we are and yet how similar.
I am thankful for being able to go home for the holidays to see my family and friends. More on that in an upcoming blog.
Sorry this post is kind of boring but take it for what its worth. And for my family and friends reading please know that I am so so grateful that you are in my life. I couldn’t do this whole Africa thing without you.
Hope everyone had an amazing thanksgiving. I still haven’t gotten a thanksgiving fix of stuffing, cranberry sauce, or pumpkin pie… maybe I can make up for it in December : )
The New PostSecret Book
12 years ago

1 comment:
Am thankful for your specific thankfulness. Truly. And we are counting the days to hug you and welcome you home. You are my hero, court. love, m
Post a Comment